Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

In 1936 money was donated by 13 area clubs to start a subscription library for a charge of $1 per family. Memberships for the first year totaled $103.

 

The library became tax supported and in April, 1939, the Albert City Public Library was established. The library was located in the South side of the original City Hall (located near the City Park Gazebo). In the 1940’s the City Council exchanged their larger North half for the smaller South half.

 

In 1967 the Library moved to the former Lane Moore Lumber Co. building (present day Pocket of Posies) on South 2nd St.

 

Dates in Our History

 

1936 - Albert City (subscription) Library Started

1939 - Albert City Public Library Founded       

1967 - Moved to former Lane Moore Lumber Co.

          building

1989 - Library Friends  group founded

1999 - Present Library Building dedicated     

2001 - Public Library Accreditation awarded

2003 - Electronic automation system implemented

2009 - New Atriuum automation system implemented

2009  - New Teen Zone installed with 9 new Dell computers

2009  - Children area updated

       

Library Directors 1939-2009

 

1939-1942 Mrs. Cliff Johnson (Garnet)

1942-1944 Mrs. Leo Fondroy (Nellie)

1944-1945 Mrs. Harvey Slim Harper (Lucille)

1945-1947 Mrs. Ted Anderson (Marie)

1947-1958 Mrs. Leo Fondroy (Nellie)

1958-1980 Mrs. Evald Pierson (Irene)

1980-1987 Mrs. Don Eaton (Bess)

1987-2002 Mrs. Robert Josephson (Nola)

2002-2008 Mrs. Joe C. Jensen (Cathy)

2008-         Mrs. Colin Johnson (Mary)

 

 

 

« August 2017 »
August
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031
Online databases

Learning Express Library

 

logo